Compromise Reached on Teacher Evaluations

New York State education officials and the teachers union reached an agreement on a new teacher evaluation system on Thursday, just hours before a deadline imposed by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, who had threatened to break the impasse by imposing his own way to judge the quality of a teacher’s work, according to a number of people directly involved.

The agreement allows school districts to base up to 40 percent of a teacher’s annual review on student performance on state standardized tests, as long as half of that portion is used to analyze the progress of specific groups of students, like those who are not proficient in English or have special needs. The remaining 60 percent is to be based on subjective measures, like classroom observations and professional development projects. Read more on School Book.

Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed | Amazon Affiliate | Android Games | WordPress Tutorials
Go to Source