Suspect in Brooklyn Killings Captured After Subway Stabbing

A 23-year-old man suspected in the fatal stabbings of his stepfather, his girlfriend and her mother was arrested on Saturday after an attack in a Times Square subway station, law enforcement officials said.

The man, Maksim Gelman, was arrested on a No. 3 train at 40th Street and Seventh Avenue, miles away from where the rampage began in Brooklyn. The police had been searching the subway system for him, Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s chief spokesman, said.

The police said the swirl of violence and death began in Brooklyn before dawn on Friday, when, investigators say, Mr. Gelman stabbed his stepfather, his girlfriend and her mother and then ran down a pedestrian while trying to escape. The pedestrian died overnight.

On Saturday, Mr. Gelman boarded a northbound No. 3 train “from the tracks,” Mr. Browne said.

Service on the Nos. 1, 2 and 3 trains was halted after the arrest.

The police said the violence began about 5 a.m. Friday, when Mr. Gelman argued with his stepfather, Aleksandr Kuznetsov, 54, possibly over a car, inside an apartment in Sheepshead Bay. The police said he stabbed the man and fled in the vehicle. About 4:20 p.m., he showed up at the apartment where his girlfriend and her mother lived and killed them both, according to the authorities.

Mr. Gelman fled again, carjacked a Pontiac, stabbed the driver and fatally struck a pedestrian as he sped away, the police said.

Detectives seemed to be close to capturing the suspect during the night – each time a step or so behind him, the police said. They were investigating whether other instances of violence throughout the night were tied to Mr. Gelman’s alleged rampage.

Then, about 9 a.m. Saturday, violence erupted on a subway train in Manhattan.

The details remained sketchy, but before 10 a.m., the police had captured Mr. Gelman, and emergency medical workers rushed a victim to Bellevue Hospital Center.

Powered By WizardRSS
Go to Source